Sunday 10 January 2010

Vogue 8529

Okay, onwards and upwards...

I bought a nice pattern yesterday, Vogue 8529. Steve, my husband, drove me to town and I had 2 hours to indulge myself in my local sewing supplies shop. I looked through all the patterns and strolled through the fabrics, feeling them and imagining which would suite various styles. I look forward to one day making garments with all of the fabrics I saw. Since I am attempting to sew myself some good basic pieces I thought this Vogue pattern would be a useful one to have, in this mole brown marle jersey fabric









This is a very plain and boring fabric and I think the dress will probably have to be well accessorised. This is something I am not accustomed to doing so while I am sewing it I will be thinking about which colours would go best with it as far as dressing it up goes.

Today was a sewing day. It was snowing and the family were in and out but I was lost in my new project.

My first hurdle was to decide which size to cut. I find this very hard to decifer from the measurements on the instructions sheet. So, to help me make a decision I traced off the front yoke and pinned it together and did a tissue fitting on myself and my dress form to see it is was too small/big.






It looked okay, so I cut a 16. I must admit, one of the best things I have invested in is a rotary cutter and mat, it makes such a difference to the accuracy of the cutting..much better than the hack job I did on the very first dress I cut, I knew straight away that my cutting needed to be improved and the rotary cutter was just the thing. Look at what a good job it does









No matter how good the cutting though, after pinning it all together to double check the sizing I found it was huge. I wondered around the kitchen wearing the pinned together dress which was falling off me and my husband watching me bemused. Well, I thing I will recut the pattern pieces to the next size down but making sure the skirt art of the dress isn't too tight. Here is a parting shot of my pinned together dress, the picture shows it's dark outside and I have the lights on - I've been sewing and pottering around all day..how lovely.


1 comment:

  1. Your dress looks like it is coming together really nicely. That Vogue pattern is a great style and your choice of fabric is lovely - I think it will accessorize beautifully with lots of colours. I'm with you on the rotary cutter - it makes cutting out so much easier. By the way I love your Hot Patterns dress - I keep thinking that I really must try one of their patterns.

    ReplyDelete